I’ve made some more Aeolian Pipes – very long ones and very small ones. The aim is to try and get the wind to make them sing or hum. I experimented with two designs for the long pipes – one is an open tube and one is closed at one end. Both look great at the beach. Standing with their feet in a rippled, shallow pool and their tops reaching above the horizon, they are visually just right and remarkably stable. Unfortunately it was very still at the weekend and there just wasn’t enough wind to fill the pipes with sound.
To test their sound worthiness I’ve tried blowing into them – I haven’t enough puff! I’ve tried using a hairdryer – they started to melt! I suspect it would have to be very windy for them to produce any sound at all ….
So I went back to the drawing board and thought about what shape and configuration of hole I know will produce a noise – my flute. Here are two tiny pipes that do make quite a melodious sound – a monotone – when I blow across the hole in the side. Their diameter is less than an inch. They are open at one end and I hold them horizontally to blow across the hole on the side. Funnily enough I need to cover the open end to produce a sound – something that is not necessary on my flute. I think it has something to do with the sharpness of the side aperture.
I suppose it was inevitable that eventually I would start making things that bring me full circle, back to my original occupation of playing the flute. I shall keep on experimenting – the next move is to make these big, closed at both ends and with a sharp hole (probably quite big) at the side.